Friday, March 18, 2016

Level X Fitness Gym Review


Level X Fitness Gym is a small gym located in Buma Building in San Antonio Village, Makati. It is located beside the Mega Pro Karaoke Place and a few steps away from Ayala Avenue. This gym is you typical gym that has machines, weights and a regular cardio class schedules

Introduction though Metrodeal

I was trying to save money by finding a cheaper gym to workout in when I stumbled into a voucher in Metrodeal. The offer was a month of unlimited gym use with a personal trainer assessment for P999. I grabbed the opportunity and scheduled my first PT (Personal Trainer) Assessment. If you are interested to try this deal too, check out this link.

First Visit

I went to the gym after office hours at around 5:30 pm. I had trouble finding the place as google maps was pointing me on a longer route. (It turns out walking at Chino Roces Extension and San Antonio Village is a quicker route)

Where to squat? No space during peak hours 
(Photo from their FB Page)

Upon arrival, I found that the gym was small and had little space. Coach JC guided me through the assessment which was your typical assessment including 1 mile run, reaching your feet, the star position and push-ups test. If you have been assessed by Fitness First and Gold's Gym. It is basically the same thing. This is ideal practice for beginners but for seasoned folks like me, this is pretty useless.

Consecutive Visits

I have been to the gym following a basic body building program for a couple of weeks in this gym. I found that it is too small to do an actual workout. Given the peak hours of 5:30pm to 8:00pm, it proved to be too small to complete a decent set.

On one day, I was doing sets of squats with a minute rest. I was too difficult to complete my set following this protocol as after doing 5 reps of squats. I had to wait for the guy on the cable machine to finish his set and the lady on the floor doing lunges before I could proceed to my next set, The sets which could have been done in 10 minutes was completed in an hour.

I also had no space to do a tabata workout on the floor so I had to omit that to my program. There wasn't enough space to jump anywhere as machines were cramped up in that gym and there were too many personal trainers walking around.

Generally I decided to not use my month's worth of unlimited gym use as it would just be a waste of my precious time.

Gym Review

The gym is conveniently located inside San Antonio Village and nearby Ayala Avenue so it would be great for residents and Makati employees. It is an ideal gym for beginners as there would be numerous personal trainers who could assist you in starting your fitness goals. However, this gym is not recommended for people who know their way around the gym as the little space left to do an actual work out will probably be used up by a personal trainer and his client. Group classes are also a failure because the room for that is too small to do anything unless there are only 3 people in that class which won't happen.

How can you maximize this group class exercise 
when you don't have the room to  move? (Photo from their FB Page)

Personal Trainers in this gym, in my opinion, exhibited behaviors wherein they are only after your money. One example is when this trainer was checking his phone while his client was doing a set. Another instance was when another trainer was carrying his client's barbell for him, which will not help the client's progress, at all.

Someone may actually get results in this gym but they must work in odd hours so they have the gym to themselves. Otherwise, looking for another gym is a better option.

For more information on this gym, check out their facebook page.

1 comment:

Jean said...

I have been to the gym following a basic body building program for a couple of weeks in the gym located in my city. I found that it is too small to do an actual workout. Given the peak hours of 5:30pm to 8:00pm, it proved to be too small to complete a good set.

NuffNang Ads